Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Self Inspiration


My inspiration lately consists of some pretty quality artists. Some of which I'll show in links below.

The point of this post though is to work through motivational issues on the art front. I often go through ebbs and flows of creativity washing through my brain. Sometimes to the point of not being able to think of anything else but then there are times when A) I let life get in the way and focus on other things B) I physically push my art aside due to frustration and C) Just think of anything to paint.
So this is my effort in reminding myself why I do what I do.

There are many opinions on this subject. Some say that whatever happens, happens and when you don't find that creative inspiration, there's nothing you can do. The other half of the opinions that I hear is that there is no such thing as no inspiration. It's like a muscle. If you flex it and exercise it daily, it grows.

I used to have the former opinion in my younger days of artistry but the older I get, the more I realize that your creativity is a muscle that you need to keep in shape. (or at least I do) If I go out looking for inspiration, for the most part, I'll find it. Mostly I just need to talk to the right people. My dancing queen from the last post is one of the inspirational people I look to. She can find all sorts of creativity, anywhere, anytime. Not only that but make it as well. And I think that's really something to learn from!

Now here is the problem. Whether it's my problem or a general problem, (I know I'm not the only one) motivation often gets in the way. There are so many things I have on my creative bucket list it's actually a bit overwhelming sometimes. Of course I will just allow artistry to flow when it arises, which I know it will many a time over my life span but there are things that I've thought of that need to come into action.
Here is my list so far:
Body art - There is something so amazing about using the human body as a canvas. I used to draw on myself as a kid all the time, why would that change as an adult? And why not on other people?
Graffiti - There is something so gratifying about knowing that the public is freely enjoying your art and that it could be painted over at any point in time. Temporary art in a very extreme way.
Temporary art - A lesser degree of the graffiti. But almost more extreme in a way seeing as if it's sand art, it can wash away with the tide or even a harsh wind. Or even using more delicate methods of doing it, who knows what harm could come to it if not completely destroying it. But still it's nice to know you'll only have a limited time to enjoy it.
Yoga Photography - I'd love to go travel around taking pictures of yogi's in their favorite poses. It just makes sense. The body is an art form, yoga is an art form and photography is an art that can capture the 3 in one! So why not!?
Mural - I have a feeling if I do actually complete one of these in my lifetime, it will be my only one. I love the idea of doing something this huge but the work that it would take to actually complete it would be so tiring. Exciting none the less.
Kinetic Art - This is something I would like to do throughout my life. I love the idea of moving art and objects allowing nature and life in general to have a play in the presentation itself. It also ties in a bit with graffiti seeing as I'd like to do something of this nature out in public.

“Artists become these weird, alienated dreamers with no money who are somehow abnormal for trying to be more human.”

Thus, substance floating in my head today

M.

No comments:

Post a Comment